It's Time to Nominate
In Term 1, students nominate their favourite Australian books.
Students may nominate 4 books.
NOMINATIONS CLOSE Wednesday, 5th April 2017.
1. The book must be AUSTRALIAN
2. The book must have been published in the last ten years
3. The book must not be a previous winner. A complete list of previous winners can be found below.
4. Nominations must be for a specific title e.g. Selby Surfs not Selby books.
Here are some tips on how to encourage student nominations.
This is their chance to say what THEY like to read.
- Display the Nomination Poster from the KOALA Kit for each classroom.
- Create a display board outlining the Nominating Process.
- Set up a display of eligible Australian books and pop a nomination form in each one.
- Use Library circulation records to display the most popular Australian titles in your school
- Use the current CBC's Notables list for recent titles to display
- Look at previous KOALA winners and compare with CBCA winners.
- Discuss favourite Australian books with classes or groups of students.
- Show students ways of identifying Australian books and authors.
- Older students can read aloud extracts of favourite Australian books to the class, write reviews, ‘booktalk’ their favourites titles.
- Give teachers a bulk loan of Australian picture books to read to the class. Be sure to include some of last year’s new titles not just the old favourites.
- Students could receive a KOALA bookmark or sticker for nominating their favourite title.
- It’s first past the post so every nomination counts